Eaton Vance a signatory of the Principles for Responsible Investment
Eaton Vance is a signatory of the Principles for Responsible Investment. Implemented by the United Nations Secretary-General, the Principles for Responsible Investment were developed by an international group of institutional investors reflecting the increasing relevance of environmental, social and corporate governance issues to investment practices.
Eaton Vance’s commitment to the UN PRI is consistent with our focus on investing in quality companies with sustainable long-term performance and competitive advantages. We also acknowledge the increasing concerns about the implications of ESG factors that our clients, shareholders and colleagues have.
The six Principles of Responsible Investment are as follows:
- Principle 1: We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- Principle 2: We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- Principle 3: We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- Principle 4: We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- Principle 5: We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- Principle 6: We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
As it pertains to the EV Equity and Income investment teams, our investment research already implements a strong governance analysis and ESG issues are implicitly considered as part of the overall research process. Eaton Vance as a firm is active on social issues such as workplace diversity and community involvement. Considering all of these factors, becoming a UN PRI signatory is a natural and important step for Eaton Vance and our affiliates.
Becoming a signatory is an affirmation of what our investment teams have already been doing rather than a change in approach going forward. While becoming a signatory will not change how our investment strategies are managed, it will provide a more comprehensive framework for our portfolio managers and analysts to consider all potential risks that could affect companies/issuers.